A Letter from the Board of Directors
People are often surprised to learn that a county as large and diverse as Sumter has only one chamber
of commerce, but the Sumter County Chamber of Commerce has been working on behalf of all the county’s businesses for
more than 91 years. The chamber is not part of the government but an independent coalition of business members, as
varied as feed stores and wholesale plant growers, to beauty consultants and boutiques.
In years of working at the chamber of commerce, I’ve noticed that the most successful business people are the ones who
build strong connections. They are personally involved in their community and get to know their clients and customers,
or future customers, one-to-one. That’s where chamber membership can be extremely valuable.
Chamber members can connect with each other at workshops, monthly, and signature events. You can make deeper
connections by joining one of our leads groups, or by serving on a committee.
Our weekly e-newsletter will help you stay informed about chamber programs and business trends affecting our area. At
the monthly Chamber Lunch Exchange, speakers share insight on timely topics affecting business in Sumter.
Chamber members enjoy benefits that help their bottom-line, with member-to-member discounts and exclusive advertising
opportunities. New businesses can boost public awareness with a chamber-organized ribbon cutting or grand opening. Our
staff refers members to thousands of consumers who contact us by phone or e-mail each year, and we list members on our
high-traffic website and popular business directory.
Perhaps the biggest benefit is having a group of people who are looking out for you and your business and who are
available to help you address the inevitable bumps in the road as you navigate your business through difficult economic
times. Why struggle alone, when there are people who want to help you succeed?
I urge you to take the step to become a member of the chamber family. Together we can keep Sumter County’s business
community healthy and moving forward.
Sumter County Chamber of Commerce
Board of Directors
Tangible benefits include:
- Advertising discounts for all members in the Daily Commercial, Sumter Express, Sumter Shopper and Sumter County
- A 10% discount on auto insurance and personal umbrella coverage as a part of a group discount in partnership with
Auto Owners and Frank Slaughter Insurance
- A 15% discount on rooms at the Waterfront Inn (some restrictions may apply)
- New members can enjoy a free case of paper from Ernie Morris with their first forty dollar order
Members also realize special benefits through participation on the Chamber’s website:
- A listing in our online membership directory, which includes a searchable description of your business
- Privileges to post job openings in the Chamber’s “Hot Jobs listings
- The ability to enter items in our Sumter County Calendar of Events
- Access to list your commercial and/or residential real estate listings (sale or lease) in the Chamber’s online
Your Chamber membership also gives your business valuable direct marketing exposure that includes:
- Listing in our membership directory, in print and on our website (see below for details)
- Publicity for your events through Chamber emails and Facebook and Twitter posts sent from our office (see details
- Ribbon Cuttings, Grand Openings and Ground Breaking events
- US Chamber Federation Partnership (see details below)
- Chamber Leads Groups
- Credibility for Your Business (See the Shapiro Report below)